Thursday, December 6, 2012

My thoughts on the "Telephone conversation by Wole Soyinka"



The Telephone Conversation



The price seemed reasonable, location
Indifferent. The landlady swore she lived
Off premises. Nothing remained
But self- confession “Madam, I warned,
“I hate a wasted journey- I am African.”
Silence. Silenced transmission of
Pressurised good – breeding. Voice, when it came
Lipstick-coated, long gold-rolled
Cigarette- holder pipped. Caught I was foully
“HOW DARK?...... I had not misheard……
“ARE YOU LIGHT OR VERY DARK?” Button B, Button A, stench
Of rancid breath of public hide-and –speak
Red booth. Red pillar box. Red double-tiered
Omnibus squelching tar. It was real. Shamed
By ill-mannered silence, surrender
Pushed dumbfounded to beg simplification.
Considerate she was, varying the emphasis-
“ARE YOU DARK? OR VERY LIGHT?" Revelation came
“You mean –like plain or milk chocolate?”
Her assent was clinical, crushing in its light
Impersonality, Rapidly, wave length adjusted,
I chose “West African sepia”- and as afterthought,
“Down in my passport.” Silence for spectroscopic
Flight of fancy, till truthfulness clanged her accent
Hard on the mouthpiece. “WHAT IS THAT?” conceding
“DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT IS” “Like brunette.”
THAT’S DARK, ISN’T IT?” Not altogether,
Facially, I am a brunette, but Madam you should see
The rest of me. Palm of my hand, soles of my feet
Are a peroxide blonde. Friction caused
Foolishly, Madam – by sitting down, has turned
My bottom raven black- One moment – sensing
Her receiver rearing on the thunderclap
About my ears- “Madam” I pleaded “wouldn’t you rather
See for yourself?”

Wole Soyinka   
                                                             

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆  ★彡  ☆彡  ★彡   ☆彡 `*:★ ~☆・:.;*☆.。.:*

Wole Soyinka's works are always very unique, sophisticated and interesting.
It even took me days to understand fully what it's trying to say, but yeah I had fun reading and understanding it. hoho.








Now what is the story trying to tell us? The story is trying to depict racism which was a great widespread issue before especially in the U.S.A.?
It is about a conversation with a black guy and a prejudice white lady. 


 
(the described look of the white lady )


Why did I described this White lady as prejudice? Well the way she talked with the black guy was a bit rude for me..even if she asked politely it's still insulting for the black guy to be asked like that. Why would she even care about the fact that the guy mentioned he's Black?  that means the lady wants to further know if the guy was really that black, if he is ,the lady would just hang up---and she actually did. My racism sensors are tingling.. Well, Racism was out of hand during that time that's why there was a prejudice apprehension that the blacks are wild,violent and slaves etc. To make it short, the purpose of this story is to show how senseless the idea of Racism is. 




I remember a story told to me by my uncle. It goes like this..When he was in Dubai he went to a high end boutique where there were 3-4 customers..and all the staff from the shop looked at him from head to toe and just ignored him. Another customer of caucasian origin entered the shop and was immediately approached and attended by the staff. Stupid huh?
The idea of judging people depending on the color of his skin makes me sick. It's just ridiculous to be judged by narrow minded people. 

My advise to people discriminated, judged or humiliated by narrow minded people to stand up for themselves, If you think it's too much..Use your wits! Use sarcasm but always remember to be polite, you'll surely leave them dumbfounded in awe! ;D (an original dauntless tip by me) If not, you could just ignore them knowing you have  better understanding, principles and perspective in life. Be proud and stay your positive outlook in life!
I am special and beautiful..I am me. Beat that!

Have a goodnight/day~ 
120612 ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ☆(*´・v・)/

2 comments:

  1. Equality is like a rose, fragrance that smells like honey, devouring what is unpleasant... spreading it's sweet nectar all over, giving a passionate love for all...

    ReplyDelete